Blogging for Fun is compulsive, or it should be, and if it is not why are you doing it or contemplating doing so? Here is my guide to blogging, we all go about it differently, but there are some basics which you need to get on board with!
- Before you start know why you want to blog, and ask yourself whether you have the time to post on a regular basis.
- Make it clear how often you will post – you will loose followers if you con’t keep to your planned schedule/timetable
- If you decide to quit writing your blog, then be kind and let your followers know, You never know, you might just decide to come back!
- Define your
- Ask yourself
what you are hoping to achieve by blogging?
- What is your blog about?
- What effect do you want to have on your readers?
- Where do you think your readers will come from?
- Ask yourself what you are hoping to achieve by blogging?
- Understand what your reader wants, or expect from reading your blogging
- Grab the
- Spend time thinking about the title of your blog posting (and make it relevant)
- Write an introductory sentence that tells the reader why they should spend their ‘valuable’ time reading your blog article
- Make your posts easy to read – Short, clear and concise sentences, with plenty of white space (blank lines), heading styles, bold text, bulleted and numbered lists to make it easy
- Always, Always review and edit what you write
- Write as you talk – a blog is a conversation between you and the reader.
- Express and opinion – don’t just lists facts, but express your personality and opinions
- Be consistent – not only as to the frequency of your posts, but also in terms of the tone, style and content.
- Be open, honest and inviting – remember a conversation is two way. Expect (indeed encourage) your readers to comment on and challenge your opinions; but also be prepared to defend your opinion.
- Be visible and responsive – you don’t have to be online 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year, but be regularl in reviewing comments and responding. This is good blogmandship!
- Be polite, professional and respectful of others – Always think twice before posting a response
- Promote your blog – look for similar types of blogs, or event those which are just downright interesting to you, and comment on their posts, leave your blog details in the comment.
- Use links – using links serves several purposes; they connect what you are writing to the rest of the world and connects people to information you consider useful and relevant.
Some other blogs to look at: